Sunday, June 10, 2012

Amal's Scrap Quilt - DONE!!

I love, LOVE setting goals and accomplishing them!  I had started and finished the tops of two scrap quilts.  One for each kid.  Then, they sat for almost one and a half years!  I put my mind to finishing these two quilts before school lets out and I DID IT!!!

Here you see the design that Amal chose from my book of free motion designs.  I had her trace it onto paper with a pencil and then I went over it with a Sharpie so I could see it.  The placing of this was a monumental headache!  Thank God I am a patient woman!


Of course, it did not take long for Uki to claim her spot/s.  She was attacking the black design or the moving white fabric as I was trying to work.  I had a visual.  If either one of my kids were to climb up and do this I would scream at them; but somehow, Uki gets away with it!  hahaha


This was a very difficult photo to take!  As I was marking the very secure design; Uki took to rubbing her cheeks on the end of the watercolor pencil.


Here she looks away; so innocently; but you can see the fabric is screwed up and in, yes, IN her claws!


She is too cute.  Really!


Ah, enough of the kitty and on to the quilting!  I used two shades of pink for the quilting.  The darker pink was in the bobbin and the lighter was what was on top.  It was so much fun quilting this non-stop free motion design!  I did have to end a few times for this reason or that.


Uki, AGAIN!  She was trying to jump into one of my cubbies so I helped her.  This one is the mismatched-I-don't-know-what-to-do pile.


Amal did not want anything quilted and ESPECIALLY not any stippling in this section.  After I did the hearts; I felt it really needed something.  The quilt spoke and that was that.  I got on with the stippling.  It was fun!


Here you see the simple criss cross in the center of the quilt; the stippling in the first border; and the hearts in the outer most border.


TA-DA!!!


Another shot to prove that all the markings came out!  


And my baby girl holding her much coveted quilt! 


After all these years quilting; after all the projects that I have started and finished; this is the FIRST ONE FOR HER!!

edited to add:  I am entering this quilt into the Blogger's Quilt Festival - Fall 2012!  

Quilt Measurement:  59" x 64.5"
Special Techniques used:  nothing really
Quilted by:  Me, Alia!
Best Category:  Favorite Scrap Quilt; Favorite Home Machine Quilted Quilt; Favorite Throw Quilt

Thank you for stopping by as always!  




8 comments:

susan said...

gorgeous quilt and quilting
your kitty kills me. so funny and cute

Eija k said...

Greetings from Finland. I watch blodeja around the world. You have a nice job. Welcome to our new blog.

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Thank you ladies!!!

CitricSugar said...

Lovely quilt! I adore the quilting you did on it...

And cats do love to "help", don't they?

Just curious: do you order your fabrics online or are there good places to get quilting fabrics in Oman?

Alison V. said...

Very beautiful! I love your kitty!

straythreads said...

beautiful love the colors
Ann

a maidenhair fern said...

Interesting quilt. I enjoyed reading about your FMQing.

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Hi. In answer to your question, you can buy some fabrics in Oman. You can order online or stock up when in your country.