Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Book Club Success...

I hosted the Book Club today. It was great to see my friends after the long summer break! I was such a nervous and stressed out wreck preparing though! I have to make a really special dinner for my babies as they got the brunt of it this morning! Here is my awful attempt at photography again! Here I laid out the cupcake, I made those. The Chocolate Meringue Kisses my Amal made! That is Cool Whip in between them and yes, SOUTH BEACH approved! Then, we have two different types of Marks and Spencers (British store) 'biscuits' or cookies as we Yanks call them! Yummy!!

Here is a close up of the Chocolate Meringue Kisses. Want the recipe??

CHOCOLATE MERINGUE KISSES

2 egg whites at room temperature
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar substitute (we use Splenda)
2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder, lumps removed
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Light whipped topping (we used Cool Whip and only use up to 1 Tbsp. per sandwich)

Preheat oven to 250*F. Whip together egg whites and cream of tartar until foam forms softf peaks.

Whisk sugar substitute, 1 tablespoon at a time until it forms stiff peaks.

Whisk cocoa and vanilla until blended.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Fit a large star nozzle to a pastry bag.

Fill the bag with the meringue.

Pipe 20 meringue kisses onto the parchment paper.

Bake for 30 minutes or until crisp and dry.

Turn the oven off and let them sit for 30 minutes.

19 calories per each sandwich!

Here is a close up of the cookies. They are rich and just the right amount of chocolate!

Another shot of the kisses....

Amal also made the Hummus. I cut up the veggies and the plate is actually white!! I need to figure this lighting thing out!! Here is the South Beach Hummus recipe:

HUMMUS

1 can (15 oz) chickpeas
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste) (we omit this!!)
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. ground cumin
1/8 tsp. ground red peper
1/2 tsp. salt
Chopped fresh parsley (optional and we don't use this!)

Drain the chickpeas, reserving 1/4-1/2 cup of the liquid.

Combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, onion, garlic, oil, cumin, pepper and salt in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth, adding the chickpea liquid if needed to thin the puree.

Refrigerate for 3-4 hours before serving to blend the flavors. Garnish with parsley, if using.

Serves 5


Ah, a good cup of tea...

Contemplating the next book read. This one is my choice! Why? Simply because Toni is the only African American author that I know of so I recognized the name.

Did I mention that the food was yum???

Going, going...

All gone! Well, today is my last day of not fasting. I've been on 'holiday' as they say in these here parts around here! A Muslim woman is exempt from fasting if she um, has her monthly visitor. My visitor will be leaving me tomorrow!

Tomorrow?! I am off to learn how to make HAREES. This is a wheat porridge sorta. My SIL will be teaching me as it has been years since I have had any and with Indian cooking; it is complicated and intricate! So, we will have cut up limes (from my garden), cilantro chopped fine, fried red onions, green chilis all served on the side. I like a little harees with my onions! We cook it with mutton! The Zanzibari's here in Muscat cook it with chicken. I like ours better. It just seems to have more flavor.

Stay tuned for pics on this!! AND!! If you use these recipes, let me know what you think of them!

Thanks for stopping by! Next week, my friend and I are going to meet after the long summer and crochet together! Can't wait to photograph all that loveliness for you all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

looks yummo! Bummer I missed your "holiday" so will have to wait until after ramadan for that coffee whaaaaaaaaa.....

Good luck with the Harees. I hope you have good arm muscles as all the stirring with be a true work out for your biceps I tell you. Last week I cheated and got Harees from the Carrefour food counter but I did make my own sauce which was yummy, even the hubby ate it!

BintElOud said...

-.- u ddnt make us a nice dinner.... i ate hummus and cool whip and heck - i made U dinner.... can we hav soup tomorrow? i saw the ten dollar dinner lady make a soup and now thats all i can think about :)

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Yeah, Mami bombed dinner and yes, your oatmeal hit the spot sweetie, thank you. I will make a soup tonight indeed! Next time, don't air your dirty laundry on my blog! Talk to me. Snap! <3

Coffeebean's Dailies said...

Isra, will see you in a little bit. We will definitely do coffee and at my house but lucky you! I wrangled four cupcakes for you!