Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Banoffi Pie

This is a mix of several recipes that I have used over the years. It looks sort a pretty save the aluminum container! Duh!?


The process of me eating my piece! Yummy!

Banoffi Pie

2 bananas
1 ready made American cookie crumb pie crust
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
6 oz. butter
6 oz. castor sugar (very fine)
heavy cream or whipping cream
2 drops vanilla essence
2 tsp. powdered sugar
1 Flake chocolate bar or melted chocolate

Heart attack yet?

I brushed my pie crust with a beaten egg and baked it for 5 minutes to set it. By the time it gets over here; it is usually broken up.

Preheat the oven to 180*C or 350*F or Gas Mark 4

Take a saucepan, a clean one, and add the butter and sugar and start to cook. When mixed, add the condensed milk and cook for about 5 minutes or until it boils and thickens and turns a light caramel color. Mine took more like 10 to 15 minutes!

Cool slightly. What DOES that mean? I cooled mine for about 15 minutes.

Place a layer of sliced bananas over the base of the crust and pour over the now toffee. Smooth the surface if need be and refrigerate for 30 minutes. I chilled mine overnight.

Take your whipping cream or heavy cream and add the powdered sugar and the vanilla. I wanted to add more but the toffee is super sweet and lots of my pals don't like it sooooo sweet so I controlled myself with just 2 tsp. Start to whisk until stiff peaks form. Now, don't go makin' butter ya'll!

I then dropped teaspoonfuls of the cream mixture and squeezed banana slices in there and then crumbled a Flake bar over it. Flake bars are cool. Then, with the leftover cream I dipped my finger and enjoyed! Just once! Then I ended up throwing it away!

If you do chill it; give yourself enough time for it to sit at room temperature before serving to your family and guests. It is much nicer.

P.S. I don't like bananas so much so if you do; use more bananas! Two seemed perfect for me.

I hope someone uses this and enjoys!

Bon Appetit!

In case you would be interested in learning more about this dessert, go here.

No comments: